Questions to Ask Your Surgeon About Breast Augmentation
Choosing your plastic surgeon will be one of the most important choices you will have to make. Make a list of prospective surgeons. The following list of questions should help narrow down your list of qualified surgeons.
Feel free to print this page and bring it with you to your consultation.
Important questions to ask your surgeon:
* How many BA procedures do you perform per year?
* How many years have you performed BA procedures?
* Are you board certified? Which board? Which state?
* What is the most common complications you have encountered?
* What is your reoperation rate with breast implants and your most common type of reoperation you perform?
* How are your surgeries scheduled and what time frame is allowed for the procedure?
* How many cases do you schedule on a typical surgery day?
* Where will you be performing the surgery?
* May I have the names of two reference patients with whom I can speak to without you being present?
Questions pertaining to the surgery:
* What are the risks?
* How many additional operations can I expect over my lifetime?
* How will my breasts look if I choose to remove the implants?
* What shape, size, texturing, incision site is recommended for me?
* How will my ability to breastfeed be affected?
* What type of anesthesia do you use?
* What medications should I avoid?
* How long is my estimated operating time and time in the recovery area?
* Will I have to perform breast massages? If so, how often and for how long?
* What limitations can I expect after surgery?
* When can I return to work?
* When can I resume regular exercise?
* Do you provide a surgical bra and/or ace wrap and how long do I have to wear it?
* How often will I have post-op appointments for follow-up?
* How and when do I pay? Does your office provide financing?
* What is your cancellation policy?
* What are my options if I am dissatisfied with the outcome?
* Can I see any before and after photos of your patients?
Questions to ask to yourself:
* Upon entering the office, is the office/lobby environment clean? How are the surroundings?
* Is the receptionist friendly and professional?
* Ask to use their restroom and notice its condition. Is it clean?
* Do I get a comfortable or uncomfortable feeling while in this office?
* Is the waiting period long or is your scheduled consultation appointment on time?
* Is the surgeon answering your questions completely?
* How is the surgeon's demeanor? Is he professional as well as competent?
* Is he taking appropriate time with you or is he rushing his answers to get you out of there quicker?
* Do you feel comfortable during your examination? Good bedside manner? (If he examines you.)
* How was my overall experience?
Remember to bring a notepad with you to your consultation. Ask all the questions you feel necessary and get complete answers. Make sure that you feel comfortable with the PS you choose. Communication is one of the key factors to consider while deciding. Do not let intimidation hinder your choice because this is your body and you make the final, educated decision.